Thursday, May 8, 2014

Ebola Outbreak - The Roller Coaster Ride (Part 1)

Hey Team,

Just wanted to give an update on the roller coaster ride that has been my last couple of months (in three instalments).

I am a very visual person so I have put together some maps together to explain things a little :)


Ok after re-evaluating the Conakry trainees I set out on an epic 24hr plus drive to N’zao.


The bumpy road

There is a car under here somewhere

The road was quite bumpy.


I was sent to Hope Medical Centre to teach them how to treat clubfeet with the Ponseti Method.

Click on the link for a quick video tour of Hope Medical Centre :)




Dr Yaradouno and I out the front of Hope Medical Centre

Hope Medical Centre Staff


And I absolutely loved every minute of it.

After being there for 7 weeks it really started to feel like home.

Click on the link for a super quick tour of the awesome place I called home.


I was getting use to the cold showers.

I started playing football for a local team.

I am the white guy in the middle


I got use to uninvited guests…

Like a Green Mamba snake in the house.

These are actually pretty deadly snakes (when they are alive).
At one point I even found a lizard in my bed.

I started helping the neighbours get the chickens out of the tree. (They are up there to stay away from the snakes).



I even had my own little dance class.



I was learning the Jimbae.



The really great thing was that the training program was going really great. 

So what happened next???

When I get some more down time I'll send through an update on how I got evacuated because of the Ebola Virus. But just to let everyone know I am safe and sound and back in Brisbane now :)


God is good.
Nick