Monday, September 12, 2011

Culture Shock

So my time in Sierra Leone has come to an end and I’m now back in good old Australia… and I have to say that I think I am experiencing what you call “culture shock”.

It’s kind of hard when you go from living in a third world country like Sierra Leone to a first world country like Australia…. and I guess this got me thinking about some of the things I am missing from my home away from home, for example:

§  Having all the little kids run up to you in the hospital and give you a hug…


§  Having sunset jam sessions


§  The many weekend adventures







§  My feet miss being on African soil


§  My friends










§  Being 1 minute from work




§  Seeing things out of the ordinary



On the other hand, I will say there are heaps of things that I really love about being back home, like:

  • Having plenty of access to clean drinking water
  • Being able to have a shower for longer than 2 minutes
  • Clean toilets with toilet paper
  • Driving on the correct side of the road
  • Traffic lights that regulate traffic
  • My comfortable double bed
  • Having takeaway food
  • And most of all, my friends and family
It really is great to be back home but I really do miss that big white ship…

God is good
Nick J